After moving in four weeks ago, I think I have determined the best "place" for everything, and have everything in it's place :)
I thought I would share my process to help you get your kitchen organized and simplified.
1. Start with a completely clean kitchen (or as clean as you can get it).
2. Empty all cabinets and drawers and categorize everything. Here are my categories:
- cleaning supplies
- medicine & first aid
- junk drawer
- baggies, foil, and plastic wrap
- glasses & cups
- pots & pans
- small appliances
- breakfast & beverage cabinet
- food storage cabinet
- kids cups & plates
3. Place each category in the most logical place. Think about which area you use the items in, then which space makes the most sense. Use post it notes to "place" the items first if you need to.
4. Containerize your items as much as possible to prevent "avalanches" when you open a cabinet, and make it easier to put things back where they belong. Dollar Tree and the Target Dollar Spot are the best places to find a variety of containers and bins.
5. Try to keep your counter as empty as possible. Only keep the items out that you use on a daily basis, such as your coffee pot.